Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Puppies shot dead

One of the puppies that was shot dead cruelly


I am writing in response to the brutal killings of a couple of puppies in Lip Sin Garden recently. I woke up today getting ready to attend my class only to find MPPP officers outside my house in the opposite field cruelly shot dead two puppies. I also wonder how many dogs they have killed today. The day before, they caught a dog and a puppy and their fate was unknown to me. As an animal lover, I was distraught and disgusted on how humans treat animals.

Have we become so self-centred that dogs should not live with us on this planet? Have we become the ruler of planet earth who could decide who shall live and who shall not live on this planet? Are dogs’ lives so worthless that they could be killed randomly just like that? Are dogs a nuisance to human to the extent that they need to be rid off from this planet? More importantly, how do you think the mother (bitch) to the puppies would feel to find her puppies having been murdered? These are the questions I would like to pose to the people who complaint about dogs straying in the neighbourhood of Lip Sin Garden. I also wish that the very person who complained is actually given the privilege to witness the brutal extermination of these stray dogs. Then I believe you would think twice before complaining. It’s also a pitiful sight this morning to see the mother (bitch) sniffing around the street to find its puppies without realising that the MPPP officers have killed them.

Living right in front of the field where these dogs roam, I have not seen any of these stray dogs bitten anyone. Also, never in my life I have seen a stray dog bitten anyone and I don’t believe a stray dog would bite anyone unless provoked. Instead, stray dogs are afraid of humans. The dogs that the public should watch out for are pet dogs who are kept in cages or dogs who are cruelly tied to a tree because these are the dogs who would bare their teeth at or attack you if you happened to walk pass them.

Have you seen someone who pelted stones and sticks at a dog just because the dog was tailing behind that person or the dog was walking nearby or the dog was sitting in front of someone’s gate? Have you seen a toddler kicking a puppy for sport while the parents were actually looking and not doing anything to discipline their toddler? Have you seen children and teenagers pelting stray dogs with sticks and branches just for the fun of it? I have seen all of these incidents right with my own eyes. So, who are the real threats here? Humans or dogs? And what would happen if these children were bitten by a stray dog? The first thing I would have always read in the newspaper is the claim ‘I didn’t do anything to the dog!’ as if I will believe the statement that the stray dog is unprovoked. Like I said before, it is highly more likely that a pet dog would bite someone.

To be fair, there are also incidents where the pack of stray dogs are seen chasing after people. However, these dogs have no ill intention of biting anyone. It’s just that they are chasing after people to play with them. Seriously! Every time I walk out to the field, this pack of stray dogs would run after me and jump on me not to bite me but to show affection yet I do not feed them food. Unfortunately, this is the source of misunderstanding for the public to think that the stray dogs are dangerous. But they are not!

I have not even told you that about a group of boys on bicycles who pelted firecrackers at two stray dogs for no apparent reason. I’ve also seen a group of boys after their evening prayers terrorising the street with stones because these dogs happened to sleep by the roadside. I’ve also seen countless times a couple of ‘mat rempits’ attempting to irritate these dogs by riding noisily up and down the street just because the dogs are there. In addition, those ‘mat rempits’ often aggravate the dogs by grazing their bikes against the dogs. Again, this is the very reason why the pack of stray dogs would always chase after motorcyclists but nobody knows the root cause of it.

On a few occasions, I observed that the stray dogs would strangely bark at innocent people who belong to a certain race. From what I observed, the root cause is because there is a group of people of a certain race who would occasionally come to the playground to disturb these stray dogs.

On the good side, I’ve seen a few good Samaritans in Lip Sin Garden who help to feed these stray dogs and I respect them. I’ve also seen children playing with the puppies and the stray dogs by petting them and running around with them.

Before I end my grievances, I do hope that anyone who complained that they can’t sleep because of noisy barking in the middle of the night could sleep peacefully now because a couple of dogs and puppies have been exterminated. And to those who can’t tolerate the sight of dogs, I wish you are very happy now that a few dogs are gone but I’m still feeling sick of the sight where a puppy was shot in the head while it was sleeping.

No comments: