Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Some English radio stations in Malaysia

1. Hitz.FM (previously Hitz FM)
I have stopped listening to this radio station since 10 years ago. All they play is only the current hits. They don't play any old songs at all. But I used to like the Rick Dees Top 40 programme every Saturday back then.

2. Mix FM
I listened to this radio station somewhere between 2000 and 2006. My favourite programme is the one-hour Awesome 80s programme. I remembered that the Awesome 80s programme was on every weekday morning at 8am. Then in 2004, they shifted the programme to 8pm instead. They played 80s music throughout the day with songs from other decades sandwiched in between. I don't listen to Mix FM anymore today.

3. Lite FM (previously Light and Easy)
I began listening to Lite FM somewhere in 2007 after I was dissappointed of how Mix FM has transformed into another Hitz FM. To my delight, Lite FM also introduced the Awesome 80s programme in 2007. I remembered that they have it every Saturday morning for two hours from 10am to 12pm.

There was also a time I listened to the then Light and Easy in 2003 for just one month. At that time, Light and Easy played more music from the 50s, 60s and 70s. They even had a programme that played songs from the 1940s!

4. Red FM
I can't remember exactly when I began listening to Red FM. Maybe in 2008 or 2007. Red FM also played a lot of 80s music but now I feel like it's just like Mix FM. Sadly, they played hip hop music as well. But most importantly Red FM have this Retro Disco programme on every Saturday night. They played music from the 70s and 80s for about two hours. Mix FM also used to have this programme many years ago but I'm not sure if Mix FM still have this similar programme today.

5. Classic Rock
Classic Rock only operated from 1997 to 1998. I used to listen to it just a while and it played only rock music and mostly classic rock from the 60s and 70s. But, the Classic Rock radio station can still be listened on Astro today. On some days I would switch on the TV just listening to this Classic Rock.

6. Talk Radio
As the title suggests, it's a talking radio station. LOL. It also operated just from 1997 to 1998. I used to listen to it as well. It's more like a forum radio station with a lot of discussion going on. Of course, they played music as well. I think Talk Radio is almost the same like RTM Radio 4 (now Traxx FM).

7. Traxx FM (previously Radio 4)
This is the radio station that I listened to before 1997 and I only listened to it when I'm in the car as a small boy. It's the only English station in Malaysia, I believe, during those time. I remembered there were more talkings than music on Radio 4, just like Talk Radio.

5 comments:

MapleLeaf - YL said...

I used to listen to MixFM, as they played all the nice songs, I even won some soncert tickets from that station before. But i seldom listen to radio nowadays, as I listen to CDs.

gabe said...

I have also won some prizes from Mix FM many many years ago. Then only then I realise the recordings are not 'live'. They make the recordings a few minutes before editing it. I have to wait a few minutes before I could hear my own voice on the radio.

Unknown said...

I used to hear quite a lot of alternative rock on most english station such as red, trax and mix now however especially Fly Fm is the worse! On average they played the same pop song like 3-4 times in the morning, rinse and repeat ALWAYS THE SAME SONG JESUS!
Coming frm 2017, the same old generic pop song was on air (Looking at you fly fm). Starboy used to nice but then they played it almost on average evey 2 hours its like there's no variety at all. Anyways quit radio now, only station worth listening was B fm at least they give informative program throughout the day!

Calvin said...

I am a youngster aged 28 in 2020 and I hate current mainstream hits. It is so unfair that that are so many radio stations that plays teen pops in Malaysia. Hitz, Fly FM, Red FM (defunct radio) & even Mix all play the current bustling hits. Even the non English radio stations like One FM (Chinese), Era (Malay) also play current hits. I feel that Malaysian listeners who likes yesteryears songs are not taken care of. Lite radio station which is the ONLY radio station that plays classic hits and easy listening music in this country also tends to play more and more mainstream pop music. It's Youngster Supremacy in Malaysia now. Even in shopping malls, no retailers plays classic hits. All play the latest modern hits. I feel that they want to gain young people interest but they forget to the older generation music tastes. Some youngsters like me also like golden oldies. So, I feel Gobind Singh (Malaysian Multimedia Minister) should pressure media companies to open more classic hits & oldies oriented radio stations in this country. Then only it is a fair game that both interest (those who like the latest hits & those who like golden, memorable songs) are taken care of. Just like overseas. Countries like USA, UK, Australia and New Zealand have a rich variety of different types of music radio stations, ranging from oldies, classic hits,rock, jazz to the latest contemporary hits.

Anonymous said...

me too. i stopped listening to hitz.fm since 2015, always listen to rick dees weekly to 40 even on repeat at sunday night. Mix also not enjoy much these days. I used to like lite.fm a lot last time, but nowadays there's a lot talking and weird song even from modern days