Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Respiratory Disorder - Episode 18

My next appointment with the doctor was supposed to be next month but I decided to see the doctor today because my phlegm has turned yellow every morning and there is blood in it, for the past two weeks. If your phlegm turns yellow, it means there is some bacterial infection.

Right after I woke up, I spat my phlegm into a small bottle, which was given by the hospital to me a couple of months ago but I still have not used it until today. The bottle will be given to the hospital for them to check for whatever germs that are in the phlegm.

I reached the hospital at about 9am and the carpark was almost filled up already by then. As I walked into the foyer, I was greeted by some beautiful Christmas decorations. I have always seen such Christmas decorations at hotel lobbies but I didn't expect to see it in a hospital. These decorations certainly cheered my mood up.

I brought the bottle to the hospital lab and then I proceeded to see my doctor and I told her about my symptoms. I was then asked to do a chest x-ray again to see whether abnormalities on my lungs have worsened or it gets better.
In the x-ray room, a fine young gentleman (he is either a radiologist or a medical officer, I am not sure) helped me to position myself correctly to pose for the x-ray. I asked him whether it would be dangerous to do an x-ray several times in a year. He assured me the radiation exposure is neither very high nor dangerous and he advised me to drink lots of water later after the x-ray. If I am not mistaken, he explained to me that drinking lots of water after the x-ray could help to wash away the enzymes. I didn't really catch what he had explained to me. After it was done, I went home because the x-ray report will only be released in the afternoon.

I went back to the hospital again in the afternoon to see the doctor. When I returned to the hospital, I was surprised to see an unusual crowd in the waiting area. Wow...even a private hospital can be very very crowded. I waited for about 20 minutes before the nurse called out my name.

I went in to her room and she told me that there is some slight improvement, after looking at the x-ray. I felt happy to hear that.

But I'm still worry about the yellow phlegm. So, she prescribed me an antibiotic (amoxycillin + clavulanate potassium). I do hope the antibiotic could kill those bacteria.

2 comments:

MapleLeaf - YL said...

glad to hear that u've got improvements. drink more water, hope u won't suffer anymore from phlegm!

gabe said...

Actually I don't have any phlegm whenever I cough. I think the phlegm comes up to my mouth while I'm sleeping. So, I could only see my phlegm after I wake up.