Friday, December 31, 2010

Why Muslims cannot touch dogs?

Yesterday, I saw a group of Malay kids harassing some stray dogs just outside my house. The place I live in is a predominantly Chinese neighourhood, so it is quite rare to see Malay kids around. And everytime they are around, I can assure you there will always be a commotion outside my house because they will always disturb the innocent stray dogs who are lying by the roadside.

But I am not saying that Chinese and Indian kids do not disturb the dogs. They do as well. There are many mischievous Chinese and Indian kids who will also harass the stray dogs in my neighbourhood.

I am aware that Malay-Muslims in Malaysia are taught not to touch dogs, so, my curiousity began to arouse me as to why they cannot touch dogs.

As I read through the Internet, then I realise that it is NOT 'haram' for Muslims to touch dogs or to keep dogs as pets. It is just that it may be troublesome for Muslims to have to clean themselves according to a certain set of procedures after touching dogs' saliva. You may read the explanations here.

Also, I have found a post written by a local animal activist, Joanne Lee, with a snippet included which explained why Malaysian Muslims are prohibited from touching dogs.

==========SNIP SNIP==================

Dr. Gorman said...
American here, and yes, an animal lover. I have donated to Furry Farms for this cause. Yes, they need to educate the officials on the fishing island about spay and neutering the strays, or having them humanely euthanized. It's better than starving to death.

Question please: Why are Muslims encouraged not to touch dogs? God made them one of our two domesticated animals (along with cats) specifically for the purpose of helping humanity and providing companionship.

May 10, 2009 2:24:00 PM MYT

Zalina said...

Dr. Gorman,

When the rule was written, rabies was wide-spread. However, in the book is also written that dogs have been companions to the Prophet and his followers. Muslims overseas have no problems with dogs. I am a local muslim, and I have no problem with dogs.However, there is a cleansing ritual involved after being licked by the dog. I think people are just too lazy to go wash with red clay earth. Also, I'm a little more forward thinking and believe soap will do. Don't blame the religion -- blame the (few) followers. Thanks for your donation. On behalf of of the Pulau Ketam Dog Rescue Secretariat. Thanks from us all.

May 11, 2009 6:30:00 PM MYT

Antares said...

Zalina, thanks for responding to Dr Gorman. I'd just like to add my two cents worth. I believe the hadith against touching dogs was inserted long after Muhammad's time during a severe outbreak of rabies in Arabia. Since infection is mainly via saliva, and water isn't easily available in Arabia, people were advised to wash their hands in mud if licked by a dog. Soon dog saliva became regarded as "dirty" and long after rabies ceased being a problem, dogs remained anathema. Only in Malaysia do you find such rabid dog-haters/fearers. Muslims everywhere else have long become sensible about most taboos.

May 11, 2009 7:03:00 PM MYT

Dr. Gorman said...

Thank you, Zalina and Antares, for the excellent answers. It helps to try to understand the actions of those you can't understand! Still praying for the volunteers, the relief effort and the change of heart of the villagers and officials who did this.

Kim Gorman, O.D.

You may read the entire post written by Joanne Lee right here.

No comments: