Thursday, December 16, 2010

Respiratory Disorder - Episode 19

I decided to go to a government clinic this morning because I would like to do the phlegm test. It only cost me RM1 to see the doctor.

I reached the clinic at 9.45pm and as usual there was a humongous crowd in the small waiting area. It's so crowded and there are people coughing here and there. What a ripe place for TB/influenza virus/pneumonia/bronchitis to spread.

So, I decided to wait outside instead of sitting inside the waiting area. I'd rather stand in the hot sun that to risk myself contracting TB. Anyway, do you know that sunlight could kill TB. But of course, I seeked shelter under some trees. Occassionally, I would walked to the door to check the number whether it has reached my turn or not.

Finally (after painfully waiting for one hour and 15 minutes), my number appeared on that electronic device attached to the wall (what is it called, anyway?). I wore a mask and walked in to the doctor's room. As usual, I told the doctor everything. I then asked the doctor that I would like to do the phlegm test. I also asked for some Vitamin C and glycerin. All for only RM1. Hmmm...maybe I should ask for more.

After seeing the doctor, I hurried to the lab, collected the bottle from them, and ran out from the clinic. And then I took a deeeeep breath. Wow...fresh air. Haha. I was holding my breath the moment I walked out from the doctor's room. The face mask is not completely foolproof against any airborne germs, anyway.

After breathing in some fresh air from outside, I entered the pharmacy section to collect my medications and quickly ran out from the clinic again. Clinics and hospitals are such a risky place to go.

The air in the waiting area is seriously contaminated. I wonder when people will ever learn to cover their mouth when they cough/sneeze.

No comments: