Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The definition of an Ah Beng and Ah Lian

I begin to realise that I receive readership outside Malaysia, so I reckon I should explain what is an 'Ah Beng'.

There is a full explanation of Ah Beng right here in Wikipedia - Ah Beng.

Based on my personal encounters with Ah Bengs, here is my personal explanation of Ah Bengs.

Basically, Ah Bengs refer to Chinese men living in Malaysia/Singapore with some distinctive characteristics. On the other hand, Ah Lians refer to Chinese women living in Malaysia/Singapore with some distinctive characteristics. They are like the American equivalent of the Hillbillies. You can read about the American Hillbillies right here in Wikipedia - Hillbilly.

Ah Bengs and Ah Lians usually possess the following characteristics.

- Rude and vulgar
- Lowly educated (yet they can be rich)
- Inept in speaking English
- Only speak in Mandarin or any Chinese dialect.
- Speak very loudly
- A strong follower of the Japanese or Taiwanese fashion
- They love dyeing their hair
- They like modifying their cars
- They like burning really really big incense to pollute the air

It is very unfortunate that my neighbour possesses all of the above characteristics. I used to have nice loving neighbours but they have moved out many years ago. That was the good old days.

No comments: