Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Why do we study? We study for ourself or for our parents?

That's the question one of my ex-student posed in his facebook account a few months ago.

I feel like slapping myself in the head when I saw that post. Don't you too?

I used to teach in a particular college and I find some of the students there don't deserve to be there. They are in the college just because there parents want them to be there. Some of them are so rich that they do not know the reason why education is important. They just don't seem to be interested in their studies.

There are unfortunate people around who want to further their studies but do not have enough money to study. It is sad to see that there are rich students who don't appreciate that they have a chance to study but yet don't make good use of that opportunity.

I used to teach in two different colleges. One college is like a budget college meant for the poor and the other college which I recently joined is a 'luxury' college where there are a lot of rich students in it. And yes I saw a big difference between the students in these two colleges. The rich students lack discipline and have no interest on their studies. Some of them played with their handphones in the class, some of them didn't even bring their notes/textbooks to class, and some didn't even bother to hand in their assignments.

I don't see such students when I was teaching in the so called budget college. They are very disciplined and studious and I respect those students.

3 comments:

MapleLeaf - YL said...

I do agree with u, nowadays those students are called 'strawberry type (草莓族)'.They cannot handle the difficulties and only know abt luxury stuff. Sometimes, I also feel sad for their parents!

vichygurl t said...

Sad but true. I'm a struggling working student myself when I was in College.I'm happy I finished. This is the thing I've been teaching my husband lately coz he is going to college at a later age. He took for granted education before and used his college fund for nothing.

gabe said...

Exactly, vichy. And I'm glad you finished your education.