Saturday, October 23, 2010

Why do I study so much?

A friend once asked me why do I have to study so much?

She told me her husband don't even have a degree and yet he could earn so much. Well, he's a businessman obviously.

I replied her saying that I'm pursuing an academic career and that means I have to study my way up. And yes, I plan to start my PhD research next year.

Anyway, her question made me ponder something about society today. Does this mean that education is no longer important? And it's all about money?

Now I see it. No wonder kids today lack manners. No wonder today the F-word seems to be the norm even among fellow bloggers. No wonder today Ah Beng and Ah Lian generation seems to be on the rise.

Another friend of mine once saw someone drove a Mercedez into a mechanic workshop. My friend was pretty impressed with the car. He was curious to see who was the driver. The driver soon stepped out from the car. And when the driver starts talking on his handphone, vulgar words were the only words that came out from that Ah Beng.

So what do we have here. Yes, he may be making a lot of money but he has no education. So what moral values these Ah Bengs are going to teach their kids? Nothing. It is because you can make a lot of money without proper education.

So what will happened when their child misbehaved in school and get caned by a discipline teacher? The parents will rush to the school demanding an apology from that teacher. That's what happening now. Not surprising. The parents already cannot see what is right and what is wrong, so how can their kids do the same.

So, now I see it. Just walk around shopping malls and you will see kids with nasty manners. Thanks to their Ah Beng parents.

3 comments:

Happy walker said...

yeah lor.. is like that de lo..
those earn very much money de most of them was in direct sales or called MLM..
what you need to be success is by your mouth only..
the more you can ask people join under you, the more you will become rich..
no need any education also can do..
haiz..

gabe said...

Exactly. Through MLM or doing your own business.

Now anyone can easily become rich without going through the traditional stages of education. But these people are usually the one who are rude and lack basic civic manners.

If they are humble and nice, then I would respect them.

MapleLeaf - YL said...

Agree with you all! The rich are from direct sales or insurance agents. I saw once the top sellers of the insurance agent actually is illiterate or with very low education. ALl they did is TALK!