Friday, October 15, 2010

What do I want to be when I grow up?

I love sketching since I was small (about 4 or 5 years old)! I would sketch on anything where one could sensibly sketch on such as blank papers, exercise books, cupboards, walls, doors...yes, that's what I'm talking about. Something sensible to sketch on. I would just draw anything. And all I like to do is drawing! So, I wanted to be an artist!

When I was in primary school, I upgraded my drawing skill to some designing skill. I like designing buildings. I remembered back in 1991, I drew up a plan of a twin tower with a bridge connecting the two towers. That was many years wayyy back before the Petronas Twin Tower plan was revealed to the public. My idea was stolen!!

Anyway, I enjoyed looking at pictures of hotels with fancy architectural design and I would like to improvise on the design of the hotels. I was especially impressed with the architectural design of Marina Mandarin Hotel in Singapore at that time. So, I wanted to be an architect!

From buildings, I expanded my design skills to toys, cars, and video games. I was obsessed with Transformers at a particular time and I would design new characters I could think of for Transformers. Yes, I also like to conceptualise new design for cars. So, I wanted to be a designer!

Then came secondary school and I have to put aside my favourite hobby for more serious time of studying. I did put full use of my talent on my Art Education from Form 1 to Form 3. By that time, I wanted to be graphic designer after knowing that there is such occupation.

When I was in Form 4, I chose to go the arts stream since I loveeee art. Many people were shocked over my decision as they expect me to choose the science stream. Well, it is a decision that I never regret. Somehow, by now, I began to think pragmatically and I aimed to be an accountant.

But when I was in Form 5, I was told about the advertising industry, for which I have never heard of until that day. So, I wanted to be an advertising creative director! I'd love to design advertisements for everyone to see!

Somehow after SPM, I studied accountancy. It is something that I am not really passionate about. However, I had to pursue accountancy because a design course fees is really really expensive such as in Limkokwing or in The One Academy compared to an accountancy course.

Now, finally after all these years, I have found another field which I am passionate about. The academic research field! So now, I wanted to be an academic researcher!

Would you like to share yours?

3 comments:

Wayne y.m.h. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wayne y.m.h. said...

My story is quite similar to yours, but a slightly different.

I almost selected arts stream because I think art stream is something related to art and design in my secondary school. But, arts scream is something related to economic and accounting (which after 3 days in form 4 year I realized I made a wrong decision ). So I decided to go back to Science stream. However, During my secondary school final year, I still took Art (I mean Seni Visual dan Reka), even participating many art and design contests and helped my school art club to organise some art exhibitions. After my SPM, I struggled between my favourite subject (Which is art and design) and reality. Well, sometime reality is very cruel; money, environment, stress from relatives, advice from teachers and other factors make us have to give something we like. And I was so frustrated during my TAFE years and Curtin first year, especially TAFE years...I was studying something related to accounting and finance, however, I was doing something related to Art and design such as in INTI, helping the TAFE club to design logo for the Merdeka Run, decorating the board, designing brochure for the college and even in business plan subject, I was doing the topic related to Art and Design; love promoting and fall in love the subject of Advertising and Marketing...

I know I really can't continue my life like that, even I got the scholarship for my Accounting, even I have distinctive results in those subjects I dislike, even I was given chance by lecture to give talk to present my financial portfolio...I gave up all those things. I hate Law, I hate Taxe, I hate Accounting and all the rules and regulations and formulas, those things restrict my imagination and killing my creativity. I know people will think I was very stupid at that time, but I know where I belong. I need to do something which I am really interested. I want to pursue my dream again, and I know there is a better life that is waiting for me. I need to set things right and got to try...

Well, now I'm very satisfy with my life in which I find more than just a dream.

gabe said...

Good to hear from you, Wayne.
It is certainly good that finally you got to do what you like. May you achieve your ultimate dream.

I'm glad that my school offered Pendidikan Seni (Art Education) for those students in the Arts stream. I had to choose between English Literature or Pendidikan Seni. I chose Pendidikan Seni alongside Principles of Accounts and Commercial Studies.