Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Lung Infection - Part 10 (The Bronchoscopy!)

Yes, it was about time.

My thumb was attached to some oxygen detector machine (I don't know how it works but it could monitor my oxygen level in my body).

Then, the doctor was about to spray some liquid medicine into my throat to make it numb. Well, that was really really difficult for me because the doctor needed to place the nozzle into my throat to spray it properly. I had some gag reflex and the nozzle just couldn't enter my throat.


I believe I had a panic attack at that time. The 'oxygen machine' went crazy with the 'TIT! TIT! TIT! TIT! TIT! TIT!' because I was breathing heavily as a result of the panic attack. I had gone numb as what exactly the doctor expected when she saw me breathing heavily.


The nurses managed to calm me down and she successfully placed the nozzle into my throat and the numbing liquid medicine went into my throat. I squirmed as if I had eaten a lemon.


Yea, that was what the medicine meant to be.

I managed to escape the panic attack and I was calmer now. I laid down on the bed ready for action. I had to put on some mouthpiece so that the bronchoscopy tube could go down into my mouth smoothly.

The doctor then injected some sedation into my hand through the tube that was already inserted on my hand near the fingers. The nurses then advised me to go to sleep. 'Just close your eyes and sleep', they told me.

But my lips was painful because the mouthpiece was pressing against my lower lips. So I was trying to tell the nurse that my lips is painful.

'Mmma wips ishh wenfuh' I ranted. I guessed the nurses did not understand what I had said. I just ignored the pain and closed my eyes.

What happened next was weird. I think I went to some slumberland. I don't recall anything that happened.

I woke up coughing lying by my side with my hand holding a tissue. When did I ever hold a tissue? I guess everything was over then within one minute. Was it just one minute? Later I realised I was knocked out by the sedation for about an hour.

Strangely, I don't remember dozing off. The bronchoscopy procedure was over? That's it?

No comments: