Thursday, September 2, 2010

Lung Infection - Part 6

To undergo the blood test on 28th August, I was required to fast for at least 8 hours before the blood was drawn. From 10pm onwards on 27th August, I have to stop eating. Drinking is ok. This was a slight torment because I'm also suffering from gastric all the while and I need to take small meals from time to time. I have to endure this and fortunately there was no serious gastric attack.

I woke up to a hungry and nauseating stomach due to my gastric condition. I managed to calm down to avoid from vomiting and I reached the laboratory in Island Hospital 'safely' at 8.15am.
There were already a couple of people waiting at the laboratory at Level 5 of the hospital at that time hoping to end their fasting as soon as possible, just like me.

I have to endure the waiting because the laboratory has yet to open. Thankfully, there is a nice view overlooking a rooftop garden from the waiting area.



Rooftop garden in Island Hospital Penang

Finally, the nurses opened the laboratory door at exactly 8.30am. Everyone rushed in and gave their cards/slips to the nurse at the counter.

After waiting for about 5 minutes, my name was called and I was asked to give my urine sample. After doing that, I waited for another 5 minutes and I was finally called for the blood test. As usual, I always feel anxious whenever I have to undergo a blood test. I hate it.
The doctor injected my left forearm and this time the injection lasted for about a looooong one minute because the doctor needed to draw out enough blood for a full blood test. The blood test is called a full Profile D plus HIV. It is check for basically everything. During that time, so much blood was drawn to the extent that my left hand turned numb and tingling. It was so uncomfortable.
As soon as it is over, I quickly headed down to the hospital's cafeteria to take some quick bites to avoid any fainting spells. Again, I ate some fried bee hoon. The fried bee hoon has indeed saved me from fainting.
The bill came to about ~ RM400. $$$ fly away....
I have to wait until Monday August 30th to know the results of the blood test.

Again, I waited anxiously for two days to know my results. Is my liver functioning properly? Is my kidney functioning properly? How high is my sugar level? How is my white blood cell count? Most importantly, am I HIV positive? That is the most scariest. I will also know the CT scan results on Monday August 30th.

So, ladies and gentlemen, a little advice. Don't do drugs! Practise safe and protected sex! And beware of blood transfusion to avoid the risk of HIV infection. If you are a health care worker dealing with blood, be extra careful as well. I read that there are rare cases of health care workers being infected with HIV accidentally due to their daily exposure to tainted blood.
It is unfortunate that scientists still can't find any cure for the HIV infection until today. TB was similar to HIV in the olden days. If you have TB during those times, you are 'gone'. There was no cure and you will be left to die. The cure for TB was only found in the 1940s.
I will continue on Part 7 soon.


No comments: