Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Respiratory Disorder - Episode 13

It has been two weeks since the scary bronchoscopy. I think the whole experience has left me traumatised.
It is 21st September and it is time to see the doctor again to find out some preliminary results from the bronchoscopy.

I reached there at 11am.

I waited for about 10 minutes and I was called in to the doctor's room. Quick enough, she told me that my phlegm is negative for TB. What a relief!

But then she said my phlegm is positive for Candida, a type of fungus. But she doesn't think that's the cause of the cough. I've read about Candida and it could appear if you are on some antibiotic medication. Yes, I was on antibiotic medication when I went for the bronchoscopy. So probably that's how the Candida came about.

So that means we still do not know what is causing the cough. I will have to wait for a few more weeks for my phlegm culture to grow completely in the lab. The doctor then asked to go for an x-ray to see if there are any changes since my last x-ray.

The reception for the x-ray section




I was surprised to find a waiting area just outside the x-ray room with a TV for you to watch.


I didn't notice there's a container floating in the air when I took this picture. Well, nothing surprising since it's a hospital anyway....you know what I mean.

Taking the x-ray was quick and simple unlike the CT scan where you have to be injected with a radiopaque dye.

It was over in less than 5 minutes and I was asked by the doctor to come back to see her at 2pm. So I went home for lunch and worrying whether the image on the x-ray has turned out better or worse?

No comments: