Friday, September 17, 2010

Philosophy #4

"You can choose to blame your unfortunate circumstance on fate, bad luck, or a bad decision"

Ok, it is time for some philosophical lecture again. I heard this quote from a certain character in One Tree Hill. I'm not a fan of that TV series but I was walking pass the TV when I heard someone blurted that out. I thought it was a thought-provoking quote, just suitable for me to put pen to paper on this.

To adopt a practical living, one should neither believe in fate nor luck. If one believes in fate, it means that his/her destiny is fixed. So, what's the point of working hard to achieve success? No matter how hard I try, there will be some setback because I'm destined to fail. So you see where it is heading?

Furthermore, believing in luck encourages the gambling habit. Oh, I think I have some luck today, I should buy 4D today. Awww, I missed the number, I'd blame it on my bad luck. Gambling is all about playing the game of probability. It has nothing to do with luck.

You yourself determine your destiny! There is no short cut to success.
If you study hard, you will score well in exam.
A footballer who trains diligently will perform well in the field.

Donald Trump claimed that success is attributed to one's talent and brainpower. I agree to that! There is no good luck to it. You work hard, you reap the success. Simple as that.

When something unfortunate happens, think back again...was it your fate, bad luck, or bad decision?

Now wait...
Since I'm down with some respiratory disorder, should I blame it on fate, bad luck or bad decision? That's a tough question, I have to admit. Gee. :) But certainly not fate! I don't believe in luck either. Bad decision perhaps. I must have walked to the wrong place at the wrong time and somebody spread some germs to me. Or what if it is not an infection afterall and it is something worse?

Many of my kind hearted friends have prayed for me, some had persuaded me to return to religion and some had asked me to pray, which I did albeit being an atheist. Perhaps, it's time for me to embrace Catholicism once again because I know that sometimes certain events and incidences are beyond our control which may require divine intervention. Contemplating, contemplating.....

Alright, back to the philosophical discussion.
To put it in a nutshell, you yourself carve your future!

No comments: